Monday, October 3, 2011

Rustic Flower Tutorial

So I am working on a scrapbook of our Grand Canyon and Tombstone  road trip and needed a really rustic flower . . . something not flowery, you know?  This is what I came up with:

Still a flower, yet kind of a country western flower if you will . . .I think it will be perfect for the front of my album.  I've done a ton of paper bag albums, but with some inspiration from some crafty ladies on youtube (Follow the Paper Trail channel and Luvleescrappin channel) I am doing a paper bag album with a twist.  I will post it when I get it finished, but for this flower here's what I did:

I started by die cutting two medium sized flowers out of canvas with my sizzix machine (flower die #654982).  I used some Ranger distress inks (walnut and vintage photo) to "dirty" up the canvas a bit.  I then edged it using a brown permanent marker.  I used the ink a little heavier on the bottom flower for depth.  I then used a cream colored paper flower and glimmer misted it with a yellow/gold glimmer mist that I mixed myself (Tim Holtz has a great tutorial for this).  Then I used my Ranger distress inks again (patting it on the non-stick mat and then misting with water so I could use a paint brush to apply).  I used walnut, vintage photo and black soot (just the edges with the black soot). 

Once I had it the look I wanted it didn't seem to be "enough" so I ran it through the Sizzix machine in a Tim Holtz embossing folder (I used the patchwork folder that came in the "Bingo and Patchwork" set) to give it some texture. 

The last item was a plastic button I probably pulled off of an old shirt.  I used a little Ranger alcohol ink to give it a little color and then I glued them all together and called it FINISHED!

No comments:

Post a Comment